21 February 2011

Just Plant It!

So I had a great idea for this spring- plant a garden. We go through so many fruits and veggies so I thought, why not grow my own?! I started to get some ideas, do I plant right into the ground? Do I build a table and plant there? Do I use planter boxes on the deck? What should I plant? What can't I plant? When do I plant? When do I pick? Am I going to kill everything?
So much to think about, so I called the only person I know that could answer all my burning questions about my veggie garden...my dad. And sure enough he had some great ideas and knew all the timing of planting and picking and what grows well. My current wish list for the garden:

Sweet potatoes
Bell Peppers
Eggplant
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Squash
Asparagus
Beets


and NO GREEN BEANS! I had a tragic childhood* :) I will not be picking green beans, ever. I will happily pay the $1.99/lb before picking any more green beans.

Now you might be wondering where all this food is going to fit- well, another great idea from my dad answers that query- he just so happens to have 250 square feet of garden space ready to be used on the farm and he can easily make the size of the garden bigger if needed. Now this 250 sq. feet of space is a far cry from my 'tragic childhood'*, but I don't need 12 rows of corn on top of all the other veggies.

First plantings take place around St. Patty's Day!!! 3 weeks and counting down to veggie making!


*tragic childhood is defined as having to pick over 250 feet of green beans. Some may not see this as tragic, but you weren't there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment