19 January 2011

Quilting Baby Steps?


So this is my baby step attempt at quilting. Granted there is no quilting really involved, but I did sew some blocks of fabric together! :) It may look like a hot mess to most, but the girls love their new texture mat! A little fur, a little 80s prom, some satin, and buttons and voila! you have a texture mat for little ones.

What do you need for a texture mat?
9-12x12 squares of textured fabric
1-1 yard of backing fabric
batting

When choosing your textured fabric think big, yes cotton has a texture, but it isn't that fun so try a fur, wide corduroy, bumpy chenille-have fun shopping for all those wacky fabrics, I'm sure you'll find some great ones in the clearance area. My center square is a vinyl pocket I made and filled with buttons (I have a 15 lb. box of black buttons, so I put some to good use). Make a pocket and fill it with fun things, pom-poms, buttons, sequins, you know that fun stuff. I also have one square with ribbons tied to it because my girls as with many other little babies LOVE to play with tags so I choose to make a 'tag square' for their enjoyment- the fabric I used was a mesh of some sort- the same fabric some gym bags are made from.

Hope you have fun making your own texture mat!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how Adrienne became creative, I certainly didn't do all the creative things you are doing with your girls. I think I should have gone to mom school!!! LOL I think you're getting them ready to follow in your footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Mom school?! I think you did a pretty great job with Adrienne...she is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete