24 August 2009

Chasing the mailman

So my big idea was to tell Adam about his niece or nephew on his birthday since it was right around the corner from when we found out....boy is that a long corner! It had only been a few days since we told our parents and neither of us could take holding the secret any longer (I could probably hold it longer just to torture Laura :) But since telling mom and dad they had seen all the family the very next day and then on that Sunday dad played golf with Uncle Bob (how he kept it a secret...noone knows!)

So August 19th-September 4th is a very long corner...so Greg and I figured we would just send his birthday card early and postmark date would be Monday, August 24th. Perfect. Stop by the post office drop it off and figure it takes 2 days for the mail to get there once processed. Well I didn't make it to the post office, and I forgot to drop it in my schools outgoing mail, I thought I was plum out of luck..on my way home however I see this little white "truck" driving down the road dodging the parked cars. Could it be?! A mail man?! Indeed!! So crazy driver (that is me) speeds up to get in front of him (only 2 more boxes on this road...I must make it!) in a neighborhood where the kids I teach live. I park. Dig franticly through my purse. Throw my wallet an whatever else I can find in there that isn't the card out onto the floor. Victory! I found the letter!

Where is the mailman?! did he leave? turn around? call the cops on the crazy driver? Nope- no fear he moved in front of me. Tip: when trying to leave your car quickly remove the seatbelt. Once my car released me I was able to run down the road and catch the mailman, hoping I didn't look too desperate! He smiled, in a knowing sort of way...I think he passed me knowing I was going to have a momentary freak-out moment.

There is no going back..Birthday card is on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment